If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (301) 323-8862

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Summer Storms Can Be Unpredictable – Be prepared!

7/1/2022 (Permalink)

Dark stormy sky Follow these tips to secure your property for those unexpected storms in Maryland.

Summer in Laurel, Beltsville and other parts of Maryland brings lots of sunshine and pleasant warm weather. It also offers a fair share of storms.

The NOAA (National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration) predicts  2022 to have above-average hurricane activity — which would make it the seventh consecutive above-average hurricane season. The Atlantic hurricane season, which runs June 1 to November 30, predicts a 65% chance of an above-normal season, a 25% chance of a near-normal season and a 10% chance of a below-normal season.

Our Maryland region has seen recent storms with heavy rain and strong winds, causing trees and powerlines to fall in some counties including Prince George's & Montgomery counties. Lightning, thunder, flying debris and hail can also occur during these storms.

Just last week our emergency services team responded to a residential loss pertaining to a tree that fell on the side of a townhome during a thunderstorm. Our team tarped the affected area to prevent further damage to the home. This emergency tarping prevented other elements, such as rain and dust, from entering inside the cracks and openings of the siding, which the fallen tree caused.

Here are a few tips to make your property more secure during a storm:

Get your roof and foundation checked out. Are there any cracks in your roof? If so, call a professional to have it repaired ASAP.

Remove any tree branches that pose risk to breaking a window, for example. Getting a tree trimming before the summer storm season begins is a wise idea.

Invest in storm windows.

Bring all patio furniture, grills, etc. indoors before the storm hits.

Tightly secure outdoor items you cannot bring indoors.

Bring potted plants inside until the storm passes over.

If you have a garage, park your vehicle inside it before the storm hits.

If you must evacuate due to the storm, secure and board up windows.

We hope you find these tips helpful and wish you an enjoyable and safe summer!

SERVPRO® of Laurel & Greenbelt NE/Beltsville E is a full-service restoration company that specializes in the cleanup, restoration & reconstruction of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage. We also mitigate mold & mildew, and biohazards from your home or business.

Call us 24/7 at 301-323-8862 and let us help make it "Like it never even happened."

Other News

View Recent Posts